What would you guess is the most missed holiday of our OC family serving in countries all around the world?
Here is a hint: it happens this month on the fourth Thursday – Thanksgiving!
Many things may come to American’s minds when we think of Thanksgiving. Family, friends, food, football. As I think about the celebration of Thanksgiving, the word abundance comes to my mind, abundance experienced in many forms …
- An abundance of wonderfully prepared food served on our finest china with real cloth napkins.
- An abundance of friends and family with whom to share the day.
- An abundance of extra hours at home to watch football, work on a puzzle, take a nap as the day winds down, etc.
Reflecting on abundance my mind moves beyond these material blessings to the spiritual, that which is true and available to us, not just on a certain day but every day of the year, in every season of our lives.
- “The Lord is the strength of His people, a fortress of salvation for His anointed one. Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever” (Psalm 28:8, 9).
- “Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried you since you were born. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you” (Isaiah 46:3, 4).
- “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work” (II Corinthians 9:8).
As we truly reflect on the abundance of God’s riches flowing to His children, to us individually, I believe there will be abundance of praise and thanksgiving back to our Heavenly Father. “Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord!” (Psalm 117).
On the journey together,
More about Ralph
One Challenge was blessed to have mission pastor Ralph Anderson, and his wife Joyce, at OC International for over 20 years. They tended to our souls through the Word, prayer, counsel, and encouragement. In 2020, Ralph handed over this role to Gill, another great man of the Lord, who is walking alongside OC workers in their ministry journey together.
Read more articles here: From the Pastor’s Pen.